Saturday, October 23, 2010

Trading Up

I recently shifted my occupation.  I went from a full-time Pre-school teacher to a part-time Naturalist.  I still work with children, only my surroundings have changed dramatically.

Now, instead of being limited to a four wall classroom and postage stamp playground... I lead local school groups along beautiful mile long trails.


Rather than florescent light bulbs, I am able to enjoy filtered Sunlight.


Instead of reciting the days of the week, I am able to teach students about the local Flora...

...and Fauna

We even offer an Aquatics Program where we are able to go out on the lake and study water quality and fish for plankton.
After their programs the schools often bring sack lunches and the students enjoy dinning in our outdoor cafeteria. When they finish I am able to teach them about composting and recycling.
While the reduction in salary does not afford me the ability to purchase everything my mind might desire, it does allow me the extra time and energy to devote to those things nearest and dearest to my heart ...like enjoying hikes with my favorite little blond headed student.  

And for me, it is a very good trade:-) ~Rhonda

7 comments:

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Congratulations on your new position, and HOW WONDERFUL to be able to do something so lovely for kids! And more time to your little cutie and the love of your life, I'd say it's a truly WISE trade, too!
XOXO
Joni

Vee said...

Wow, Rhonda! It sounds like a wonderful job doing what you truly love and outdoors. I'm sure that it was a smart decision on your part. What happens in the winter?

FarmHouse Style said...

Hi Vee, glad you asked. In the winter, we focus on indoor fieldtrips and outreach programs where we travel to the schools and take things like our "Star Lab" which help us teach constellations.

Rhonda

Verde Farm said...

Hi Rhonda, just found your blog but I think you made a wonderful trade. The money people would spend to see and do the wonderful things you are is priceless--so you actually got an increase :)
Precious little boy too.
Amy

Sue said...

Rhonda, I think this was a very good trade, as I am an outdoor gal too. Beautiful photos you have shared. Enjoy!

I read your last post introducing Anna Belle' what a cutie and I love the name too. We lost our dear dog this spring, and haven't gotten another as of yet. I did ask my dh today if he thought it was about time to get us another, and he agreed.
Thank you for coming by and for your sweet comment.
Hugs,
Sue

Monique said...

Wow.. what a wonderful job!

prince said...

satta king
play bazaar On the off chance that any of those nourishments don't speak to you, it's likewise worthy to take fish oil supplements so as to keep your memory completely working.