Friday, January 2, 2009

"Hello Ollie"

Yesterday we were able to spend a little time outdoors and I took my camera out to get a few shots of my chickens as they scratched around. I would like to introduce you to Oliver or Ollie for short. He is our new King of the roost~Just a few short months ago he was this tiny little chick I could hold in my hand and now he is a beautiful mature Rooster.


Ollie is the little dark chick near the top of the photo. Such a cute little peeper:-)
A few weeks ago I lost 6 of my flock to a vicious dog attack. I was devastated! Among the ones that perished was Henry, my almost 3 year old Rooster~



Henry and I had something of a love/hate relationship. I had to be on constant guard with him because he had flogged me several times. At those times, with my legs in such pain, I could have killed him myself.... But I didn't... because I respected the fact that it was his job to challenge all who entered his flock. He was the protector of the hens and I admired him for doing his job so well. He died defending the girls and for that I owe him a debt of gratitude.


The remaining hens are adjusting to their new leader. They don't "flock" (pardon the pun) to him the way they did Henry, but he is still young and in time will make a wonderful leader as well.



In addition to taking pictures of Ollie and the girls, I photographed my newest creation~




A pedestal to support the bird bath my Aunt Sherry gave me for Christmas. I used a couple of large trunk sections from the tree that fell on our coop area back in October. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Thanks Aunt Sherry! I love the bird bath and can hardly wait to watch the birds play in it this Spring.


I hope everyone's New Year is off to a great start! ~Rhonda

10 comments:

Peggy said...

Sorry about your Henry but Ollie is a handsome one. My John Henry is almost 3 years old so the young roosters are behaving at the moment. I usually sell off all roosters but John Henry and Elvis. Some reason I let a couple slip past me so they are strutting around a few of the younger hens. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so sorry for your poor little chicks. What a poignant post you have written. I just bought a fantastic cookbook with lovely photographs for only 7.00 on sale at TJ Maxx called Farmhouse Cooking. It's awesome!! Just like you!
Big hug ~
Alexandra

Anonymous said...

Awww I love roosters. that is so sad you lost some. That would break my heart.I get so attached.
want a farm so bad =(

Kathleen Grace said...

Such beautiful chickens! I just got rid of my old flock of mixed bantams and will get some chicks int he spring. Probably buff orpingtons and barred rocks. The roosters are gorgeous aren't they?

Liane said...

My, Ollie is quite handsome! So sorry to hear about your lost ones. I'm sure Ollie will take charge of his girls.. . . .
I like your feeder - I put some cracked corn out for the birds yesterday - they were chirping while I was filling the feeders and I felt like they were saying "It's about time!".
Have a wonderful day!
-Liane

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Poor Henry. My father-in-law had a rooster who also liked to get passers-by on the leg.
Hope your new year is filled with joy.

Diary From Africa said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog ! Ollie is gorgeous, I have a cat called Oliver - Ollie for short, too ! So sorry to hear about the tragic loss of Henry, he sounded like a fine & fiesty bird.
Lynda, Kilimanjaro, East Africa

Made In The South said...

We have a few chikens to chicken hawks and it is very sad to lose one must less 6. I am always scared to death of the roosters. They don't look bad until you have one chase you. Hope the New Year brings your family much peace and happiness...MISSY

Jody Blue said...

Sorry about your loss. I love your chicken photos. Let me know when you make rosettes--or better yet post the adventure!!

Cathy said...

Hey Rhonda, I love your blog. I use to raise chickens, then came snakes, so the cickens had to go. I'm sorry you lost Henry. What breed was he? My favorite chickens were my rhode island reds.

Off to read more of your blog.

Cathy