Monday, January 10, 2011

Well what do you know...

...it did snow!  All day yesterday we listened to the predictions of a storm that was headed our way.  Destined to bring us approximately 5-7 inches of snow.  But when 9:30 rolled around and not a flake had fallen, I called it a loss and went to bed.

Turns out they were right!  We got about 6 inches, the most I have ever seen here.


I bundled up tight and headed out doors. 


I went to check on the animals~



That's strange... looking in the chicken run... something is missing?  Oh yeah, shouldn't there be chickens out here!

Ms. Honey ~ "Who are you kidding, we're not going out in this stuff.  I'll be able up to my NECK!"

Me ~  "Good grief!  Bunch of babies."


So, I cleared the area of the offending snow, threw out a little scratch and finally coaxed the ladies and gentlemen into wandering beyond the coop door.  By the way, it's amazing how heavy those fluffy white flakes get after the 50th shovel full.

Only one thing left to do... take a crazy fast ride down the hill on the sleds.  But first we need a hot hearty breakfast.  Something that will warm you from the inside...



Cheddar & Cracked Pepper Grits

2 cups boiling salted water
1/2 cup yellow corn grits
1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
As many cranks of the pepper mill as you please

Slowly add grits to boiling water.  Reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly until grits begin to thicken.  Remove from heat and stir in cheese.  Texture should be smooth and creamy, not runny or clumpy.  Season with fresh cracked pepper. ~ Enjoy


It makes for a very happy Snow Day:-)
~ Rhonda

12 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Sounds like the perfect snow day! We have about 10 inches and it is still snowing! I wish I could go out and play in the snow, but this pesky shoulder surgery thingy is getting in the way of my having fun.
Hugs,
Penny

Vee said...

Wonderful snow day. Your poor chickens must've been freezing their giblets off. How'd the sledding go?

Verde Farm said...

What a beautiful snow day. I don’t blame the chickens for staying in their warm coop. Are those chicken swings I see in the coop? What a wonderful idea. Do they swing? My husband loves grits and these are right down his alley. So glad you enjoyed your beautiful day.

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Hi Rhonda, how pretty. We have enjoyed, but I am ready for it to go now. Hubbies chicks didn't want to come out of their hen house either. I told him maybe those chicks are smarter than he gives them credit for being. Oooh, those grits look wonderful. I love cheese grits. We had breakfast for supper last night. It was just one of those kind of days. Ya'll stay warm.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Yay for you...it's oh-so pretty. We're still waiting for our expected 6 inches...send some our way, please! Enjoy every minute.

Sue said...

Rhonda, I know what I am having for breakfast tomorrow, thanks for sharing. I am glad you got your snow we got ours too, and it was topped off with ice, not good. Enjoyed your photos too.
Hugs,
Sue

Stella said...

We have six inches of snow and only 6 this morning. I am with the chickens I am staying inside unless someone wants to shovel my drive and bring me breakfast. Thanks for sharing.

Meggie said...

We here in PA got 7 inches last night and this morning. Isn't it amazing how heavy that fluffy white stuff becomes after you're shoveling for awhile?

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Oh my! Such a fun post! Your hens look quite content as long as they have a nice meal.
:)
I, for one, am ready for spring.

Kathie Truitt said...

People have always told me when they die they want to come back as one of my animals. I think the same could be said of you.

Those grits looks absolutely divine. I'll have to try my hand at that - well, after I'm done 'Nutri-system'-ing.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I hate I'm missing winter this year! We've having to live away from the farm while Dave gets treatment for cancer; rather sudden but, Thank God, we were able to stand to the task.
Richmond doesn't have much snow, much cold weather, much winter. At home, there's 2 feet of snow and Winter! O to be at home.

prince said...

In the event that you'd prefer to take protection measures against future memory misfortune,satta king
play bazaar