Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday Smiles



The Clothesline
The clothsline was a newsforcast
To neighbors passing by
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.
It also was a friendly link,
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.
For then you'd see the fancy sheets
And towels on the line;
You'd see the comp'ny tablecloths
With their intricate design.
The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who linved inside;
As brand new infant clothes were hung
So carefully with pride.
The ages of the children could
so readily be known;
By watching how the sizes changed,
You'd know how much they'd grown.
It also told when illness struck
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nighclothes and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.
It said, "Gone on vacation now!"
When the lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full
With not an inch to spare.
New folks in town were scorned upon
If their wash was dingy grey;
As neighbors raised their brows
And looked disgustedly away.
But clotheslines now are of the past
For dryers make work less.
Today what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess.
I really miss that way of life...
It was a friendly sighn;
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line!
-Author Unknown

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was very good. I remember those days. Great post.

Vee said...

Yes, and what does yours say about you today? Hmmm...nesting? Spring cleaning?

Enjoy your Sunday!

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

The clothesline isn't a thing of the past for me! *Ü* I cannot wait to begin using mine again, and I'm all ready!
http://oldcentennialfarmhouse.blogspot.com/search/label/Spring

slaterlife said...

Nice poem. I love clotheslines and I can't wait to use one again.

Anne Marie said...

It's not quite warm enough here for that- but soon I hope...I love hanging clothes on the line...so peaceful....
*thanks for the lovely comment about my pantry*
so sweet

Christy said...

I need to get my clothes line up soon. I'm hoping the warm weather will be here to stay soon.

Dena said...

What a sweet poem :) I remember those days too.


Hugs,
Dena