Thursday, September 13, 2007

Staying Grounded

Unlike the title to my last post, I am not a "girlie girl". I consider myself more of a farmhand type. Just this morning I was out cleaning the chicken coop. There is nothing like scooping chicken poop to put you in your place and keep you grounded. I don't complain, it's just part of the package. The rewards (delicious eggs, and hours of endless entertainment) more than make up for the labor. This is Henry or as my son calls him "Himry". He thinks he rules the world.

I wish I could let my chickens roam free, but we live next to a upscale subdivision ($325K and up) and I don't think my neighbors whould find it nearly as endearing as I do to look out and see them pecking and scratching at their beautifully manicured sodded lawns! =) I can't wait to see how they react when I bring in bee
hives LOL.

"What is it about women and chickens? I suspect that right now there are hundreds of women, both urban and country, explaining to their reluctant husbands why it is they want a flock of chickens, or maybe six, or at least one laying hen.
Such longings hatch from our past, when we couldn't pick up a dozen egges on the way home from work; when selling a carton of eggs now and then not only gave us a bit of pin money (scarce back then), but also gave us the right to show off our nursing skills; when putting chickens to bed every night satiated our clucking, nurturing nature." Mary Jane Butters MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook

1 comment:

julia said...

Your chickens are beautiful! Aren't they just the sweetest little creatures? One of my most favorite things to do is to work in my garden to the soothing sounds of my chatty little chickens. It's one of life's simple pleasures I regularly indulge in!